DISTRICT 10

 

BOARD OF DELEGATES MEETING

 

Tunica, Mississippi

September 29, 2007

 

The Mid-South Conference Board of Delegates met on September 29, 2007 at Sam’s Town Hotel and Casino in Tunica, MS.

 

District 10 Units were represented by the following Voting Delegates* and 1st Alternates**

 

Unit 134 Louisiana - John Federico* Unit 179 Central TN - Elaine Said *


Unit 138 Mississippi - Chuck Wilkinson* Unit 144 Tennessee - Cecile Skaggs*

Vera Lamar **

Unit 157 Alabama – Clair Chisler*

Mary Jo Howard** Unit 161 Arkansas - Dave Seibert*

Unit 170 Shreveport - William Young*

Linda Young**

 

Art Lowen **

Unit 180 MS Gulf Coast- Lynne Logan*

Unit 182 Baton Rouge - Craig Cordes*

Unit 214 Hattiesburg/Laurel- Carolyn Elliott*

Jan Wansley**

Unit 220 S. Arkansas - Jack Tidball *

Unit 221 S.W. Louisiana - Tamah Goad*

Unit 232 N. Alabama - Paul Munafo*


Units 211 and 215 were not represented.

 

 


 

The following District 10 officials were also in attendance.

 


President - Clair Chisler

Vice-President - Jack Tidball

Past Secretary - Dena Cameron

Present Secretary - Judy Knox

Treasurer - Lynne Logan

Forum Editor/Webmaster - Don Kemp

NAP/GNT Coordinator - Russ Jones

Tournament Chairman - Charles MacCracken

Electronic Chair - Ed Davis

ACBL- BOD - Bill Cook Jr.

ACBL 2nd Alt. Rep. - Nell Cahn

Parliamentarian - Robin Wilkinson

 


 


President’s Welcome

 

The meeting was called to order by the President Clair Chisler, at 8 a.m.

 

Approval of Minutes

 

The minutes of the Jackson, MS meeting held on January 13, 2007 previously mailed by Dena Cameron were approved with some minor corrections.

 

 

 

 

 

1

Treasurer’s Report - Lynne Logan

 

Lynne Logan, District 10 Treasurer gave the Treasurer’s report for 2007. Although revenue and gross profit is up for 2007, we are still in a net loss position. Our net loss for this year is ($2,200) and last year it was ($5,300). There was a lot of discussion regarding the Treasurer’s report. See Appendix A for a copy of the Profit and Loss Statement and Balance Sheet for 2007.

 


Š       2007 Jackson Regional Profit and loss Statement – See attachment at Appendix B

Š       Update on ACBL Charity Foundation $20,000 Grant – Bill Cook gave the update on the ACBL Charity Foundation Grant. He stated that ACBL cannot write any checks until they receive the 501©(3) designation approvals from Internal Revenue Service for the designated charities. The designated charities are St. Jude, Alzheimers, Common Bond and the Salvation Army. Lynne Logan said that she will take care of getting the IRS designation approvals so that the checks can be written.

Forum Editor/Webmaster Report – Don Kemp

 

Don Kemp, District 10 Webmaster and Forum Editor gave his report for 2007. The Forum’s average expense per issue is $3,000 and the average income is $2,000. It is losing approximately $6,000-$8,000 per year even after charging for regional advertising. It is a lot better than 2006. Based on the Profit and Loss Statement figures, the Forum’s net loss for 2006 was ($7,167) and for 2007 it was ($1,487). This is a big improvement. However, we did not break even in 2007. There was a lot of discussion on what we can do to decrease the Forum costs. The following suggestions were discussed:

Š       Since postage is the biggest expense, start E-mailing the forum.

Š       Only send the Forum to people without E-mail by regular mail.

Š       Since the Forum is posted to the District 10 web page, there should be no need to E-mail.

Š       Each Unit/Club President can down load the Forum, print it out and put it on the club’s bulletin board or make copies for distribution at the local clubs. This would eliminate any need for postage expense.

Š       Clair Chisler has appointed a Committee to look into the Forum’s financial situation and report on its findings at the next Board meeting in Biloxi. Don Kemp (Chairman), Robin Wilkinson and Bill Young are also on the Forum Committee appointed by Clair.

 

Tournament Coordinator Report – Charles MacCracken

 

Charlie MacCracken, District 10 Tournament Coordinator gave his report. The Birmingham Regional was originally scheduled to begin in November of 2007. Since they were unable to find a space for the tournament, the ACBL authorized to move the tournament to a year later. That is why next year in 2008, there will be a string of Regionals right in a row. The 2008 Schedule was changed to reflect this. Next year there will be a string of Regionals as shown below.

Š       Biloxi, MS January 28 – February 3, 2008.

Š       Birmingham, AL February 25 – March 2, 2008

Š       Mobile, AL and Shreveport, LA Split regionals March 31 – April 6, 2008

Š       Hot Springs, AR May 5 – May 11, 2008

Š       The Tunica Regional will be September 15 – 21, 2008.

 

Charlie ended his report by saying that we are in good shape in terms of sanctions for Regionals and Sectionals for this year and the upcoming year. There were no questions and the next topic was presented.

 

 

 

2

Education Liaison Report – Janice Van Dyke

 

Janice Van Dyke could not attend the meeting. Judy Knox, District 10 Secretary gave the Educational Liaison Report for Janice. This year there was only one submission. It was from Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. The Club sponsored Bridge Lessons. They recovered their advertising costs from ACBL as required. The Unit paid half the cost of the supplies and the teacher. The District approved and paid the other half of the total costs. Unit 161 was paid $128.72 for educational reimbursement by the District.

 

Report on Summer Nationals – Bill Cook

 

Bill Cook, District 10 representative on ACBL Board of Directors gave his report of the ACBL Board of Directors’ Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee on July 16 – 19, 2007. A copy of the report is attached at Appendix C. Bill stated that the meeting was basically held to deal with a lot of housekeeping type details. A question was asked about why the ACBL was leaving Memphis. Bill stated that there was a list of 18 different cities that they were considering. The list is expected to be narrowed down to 5 or 6 by March, 2008. There should be a final decision by mid year 2008. Memphis is included in the list of potential cities. There is a strong possibility ACBL will not leave Memphis. A lot of discussion was held regarding the ACBL 75th anniversary in 2012 and the National Tournament that is scheduled to be held in Memphis for that year.

Financial Status Committee Report – Ed Davis

 

The Financial Status Committee was appointed by Clair Chisler. Chuck Wilkinson is the Chairman. Ed Davis and Jack Phillips, who is a CPA from Shreveport, LA, were also appointed to be on the Committee. This committee was set up to look into the reasons why we are showing a negative net profit for the past two years and to see what can be done to correct the situation. Please see a copy of the report which is attached at Appendix D. There was much discussion regarding the findings of the Committee. After much discussion the following motions were made regarding acceptance of the Financial Status Committee Recommendations.

 

Jack Tidball made a motion to accept all the Financial Status Committee findings shown on the report except for Item # 2 (B) on page 5 under the heading of “Recommendations for Correcting Current Financial Situation” until we get actual data at the next Board Meeting. The motion was seconded by Cecile Skaggs. During the discussion, a suggestion was made by Charlie MacCracken to re-state Item # 2-E on page 5 under the heading of “Recommendations for Correcting current Financial Situation” to say “Because of the restatement of the 2005 financial statement, the D-10 commitment of 100% of the funds available to the Katrina Relief Fund equals $15,000. Jack Tidball moved to accept this suggestion. It was seconded and approved by the Board of Delegates.

 

Tournament Oversight Committee

 

Clair Chisler announced that Chuck Wilkinson was appointed to replace Clay Hall as chairman of the Oversight Committee. She thanked Clay Hall for his Service as the Tournament Oversight Committee Chairman. Jack Tidball and Art Lowen are also members of the Tournament Oversight Committee. Chuck Wilkinson made the following report regarding the new Tournament Oversight Committee findings.

Š       We will update the District 10 Policies and Procedures for Regional Tournaments that was

amended in 2000 to bring it up to date with 2007.

Š       We will review the rotation allocation procedures for future regionals.

Š       We will request that all voting delegates go back to their unit and ask the Unit Boards if they

are having current regionals and if they want to continue to do so. If your unit doesn’t have

any regionals let us know and why. These suggestions will also be put in the Forum.

Š       Please have your reports ready for the Biloxi, MS regional in 2008. The committee will review the delegate’s reports and prepare a report for the next Hot Springs Tournament in 2008.

3

 

 

NAP/GNT/STaC Coordinator Report – Russ Jones

 

Russ Jones gave us an update on NAOP Unit Finals and upcoming GNT finals. NAOP unit finals must be held before December, 2007 and District finals for B and C are in Vicksburg on January 12 and 13, 2008. It will be held at the Horizon Casino Hotel in Vicksburg. Flight A Finals were held in Tunica. Russ gave the status of the GNP and the GNT. Super Flight of GNT will be held in May, 2008 at the Hot Springs Regional.

 

Russ Jones requested approval for District 10’s participation in District 7’s STaC in December of 2007 and 2008. It was moved and seconded that District 10 participates in District 7’s STaC in December 2007 and 2008. The motion was carried.

 

Building Fund Report – Chuck Wilkinson, Chairperson

 

Chuck Wilkinson, Chairperson, ACBL District 10 Rebuilding Bridge Fund gave a hand out with the procedures for Disbursing Funds for Rebuilding Bridge Clubs Adversely Affected by Katrina in 2005(Revised September 16, 2006). See Appendix E which is attached.

 

Old Business

 

Update on Maurice Joseph Seminar – There was no report on the Maurice Joseph Seminar. This report will be tabled until the next Board of Delegates Meeting in Biloxi, MS in 2008.

New Business

 

Robin Wilkinson, Parliamentarian for District 10 made a suggestion that she could scan all our records (past and present) into a CD in PDF format and send them to each Delegate. This will be a much more efficient process. It will allow us to find a record or file quickly without having to search through all the old files. A motion was made and seconded that Robin Wilkinson should scan all our records into a CD in the PDF format. The motion was passed unanimously.

 

Elaine Said and Art Lowen, Unit 179 voting and 1st Alternate Delegates, respectively, brought up the fact that they felt unwanted by District 10. They felt that they have been ignored by the Board of Directors and treated unfairly by the regional tournament rotation rules. Clair Chisler assured Art and Elaine that District 10 loves Nashville and we do not want them to leave the District. All the District 10 delegates echoed Clair’s sentiments. A lot of discussion took place regarding this issue.

 

The next Board of Director’s Meeting will be held in Biloxi, MS on February 2, 2008.

 

There being no other business to discuss the meeting was adjourned.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

 

Judy Knox

District 10 Secretary

 

4

 

 

APPENDIX A

 

APPENDIX B

 

APPENDIX C

  

APPENDIX D

  

APPENDIX E